Save on Electricity & Power
- Shop around for deals and savings on electricity, gas and water bills. My electricity company offers a 5% rebate on my bills or a 2 year free magazine subscription if I have both the gas and power services through them.
- Turn off appliances at the wall and lights off when you aren't in the room. You might be surprised to know that gadgets use electricity when they are on standby. Alternatively now you can purchase a SmartStrip surge protector, which automatically cuts the power to electronics when you turn them off and returns it when you switch the device back on.
- Whenever you go away for a holiday always turn your major appliances (except the fridge and freezer of course) off at the power point to save on electricity.
- Lower the thermostat setting for the heating in your house by 1 degree and wear an extra jumper instead. If you have central heating this power saving tip can save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- If you set up a direct debit to pay for your electricity bill some power companies will give you a discount of the total amount of the bill.
- Save money on your home heating and cooling bills by making sure that your doors and windows have weather strips to block any drafts and that your roof has adequate insulation.
- If you and your family drink a lot of tea and/or coffee it is always good practise to only fill the kettle up with enough water to make the required number of cups.
- A smart tip for saving on electricity in your home is for you to go to bed ½ an hour earlier than normal. Not only will you get more sleep and be better rested in the morning but you will also save money on your power bill by not having the lights and TV on.
- If your appliance have an ecomony setting then use it, because this setting has been designed specifically by the manufacturer to help you save power for that appliance.
- Try and close the fridge door quickly after you have put something in or taken something out in order to save power. If you have children it is particularly important that they do NOT get into the habit of standing there for hours with the fridge door wide open looking for something to eat.
- Whenever you need to use the oven to cook something see if there is another meal or some baking that you can do at the same time to conserve heat and save on electricity and heating bills.
We hope that you appreciate and are able to use around your own home the Free ideas to Save Money on Electricity & Power that this website provides. If you would like to share your own ideas or tips on reducing your electricity bill then you can do so by clicking here.